If you are thinking about taking a DHEA supplement you may be wondering where you should get it from.
A popular place to find supplements is online.
There are many places to find DHEA supplements online and if you are looking for ones that are inexpensive there is a way to find them as well.
Before you start looking for DHEA online, there are some things you should know about DHEA.
This article will answer some questions you may have about DHEA supplements.
What is DHEA?
DHEA stands for dehydroepiandrosterone. This is a steroid hormone that is made by the adrenal glands in your body.
After being secreted by the adrenal glands, DHEA is then converted into female and male sex hormones. Examples of these hormones are testosterone and estrogen.
The website for the Mayo Clinic can give you more information about DHEA.
If DHEA is made by the human body, why would I need to supplement with it?
Although DHEA is naturally made in the body, the production of DHEA starts to decrease when you are in your early 30s. The levels of DHEA are also low in individuals with certain health problems such as those who are critically ill, and those with Type II diabetes.
People who are suffering from an adrenal insufficiency, end stage kidney disease, AIDS, and anorexia are also likely to have low levels of DHEA.
Certain medications can also decrease the levels of DHEA. These medications may include Danazol, corticosteroids, insulin, and opiates.
What do DHEA supplements help with?
DHEA has a variety of benefits in the body. Taking DHEA supplements can help produce the same effects of natural DHEA when your body is not producing the appropriate level.
- One of the touted benefits of taking DHEA supplements is that it may prevent aging. Because levels of natural DHEA decrease after the age of 30, supplementing with DHEA may have anti-aging effects.
- It is possible that DHEA supplements may assist in reversing or slowing the aging process. DHEA may also help to prevent certain brain conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Because DHEA is used to produce female and male hormones, it has a number of effects in the body. Some of these effects differ according to whether you are a woman or a man.
- With increased levels of hormones, DHEA supplements can improve libido. It can also help males with erectile dysfunction and help relieve symptoms relating to menopause.
- DHEA supplements are popular with athletes because DHEA may help to improve athletic performance. DHEA also may decrease body fat in those who want to lose weight.
- Additional benefits of DHEA include helping to support a healthy immune system, increase the health of individuals who have AIDS or HIV, and help fight fatigue. DHEA may also help to lower levels of cholesterol and reduce heart disease risk.
Other conditions that DHEA may help with are osteoporosis, lupus, erectile dysfunction, and schizophrenia. DHEA may also help to decrease or alleviate depression. Clearly, more studies need to be done!
Are there side effects to taking DHEA supplements?
Although DHEA is made naturally in the body, taking it in supplement form can lead to certain unwanted side effects. Keep in mind that there haven’t been any long term studies done on DHEA supplements, nor are these supplements regulated by the FDA.
For the most part, very few side effects have been reported from supplementing with DHEA, especially when you take it according to the recommended dosage.
The side effects that have been reported include nasal congestion, fatigue, acne, headache, and irregular and rapid heartbeats. Females have reported side effects such as emotional changes, abnormal menses, insomnia, and headache.
There are some circumstances in which individuals should not take supplements. Those who have liver disease in their history, blood clots, abnormal heart rhythms, or hypercoagulability should not take DHEA supplements.
Because DHEA can cause levels of hormones to be higher than normal, there may be a chance of increased cancer risk. These would be ovarian, breast, prostate, or other cancers that are sensitive to hormone levels.
As with all medications or supplements, you should consult a health care provider before taking DHEA as a supplement.
Where can I find cheap DHEA supplements?
The best way to find DHEA supplements for cheap is to do an online search. There are a number of online stores that sell it so you can compare prices and choose the most inexpensive one.