Whey protein in its pure form is gluten free.
However, there are several products out there that include peptide bonded glutamine in their whey proteins.
Some whey proteins is derived from hydrolyzed wheat gluten.
It’s important for those with gluten allergies to check all ingredients before using any whey protein supplements or to have your doctor look at the ingredients to make sure they are safe.
According to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, it’s always a good idea to check the labels of all whey proteins.
Although many whey protein products use whey protein in its natural form, which is gluten free, there are those that could be potentially dangerous to those with celiac disease.
If in doubt, it’s important to not only talk to your doctor, but to call the manufacturer for a product ingredient list and descriptions.
What is gluten?
When you hear the word gluten you immediately think of wheat or other starches, but gluten is actually a protein. It is a protein that exists in wheat, rye, barley and many other starches, but it’s not overly unhealthy.
- Gluten has a bad reputation mostly because there are many people who cannot digest it properly. There are several grains that don’t contain gluten, such as oats, buckwheat and soybeans.
- Gluten has many components that make it a great resource for some of our favorite foods. Bread gets its flexible, chewy nature because of gluten. This is how bread keeps its shape and why it has such a wonderful texture.
- Gluten also has tough, dense characteristics. These characteristics are perfect for pizza and bagels. However, its density is why many can’t digest it properly.
- Gluten can also hold onto gases during the baking process. When bread rises this is in direct correlation to gluten content.
- Gluten is also very absorbent and causes bread to go stale. Gluten may also be used in vegetarian meals to imitate meat.
What is Celiac disease?
Celiac disease is a very serious disease that is caused by an abnormal immune response to gluten. While less than one percent of Americans suffer from Celiac disease, it is widely observed that products that are gluten free are becoming both popular and diverse.
Those who suffer from Celiac disease must maintain a gluten free diet. This makes eating and getting proper nutrition very difficult.
However, it’s important to note that many people who have gluten intolerance do not have Celiac disease. It is possible to either have intolerance for gluten or an allergy to gluten without having the disease.
Why is whey protein a good alternative in gluten free diets?
Whey protein is important in improving muscle mass and strength in athletes and body builders. Whey protein can also be an excellent source of protein for those on gluten free diets.
- Whey protein is great for absorption in the body. This is because it’s a protein that is predigested.
- Whey protein is also lactose free which is great for gluten free diets and also for those diets that are lactose free. It’s low in carbohydrates and also in calories.
- For those who are looking to keep their diet gluten free and who don’t want to eat too many calories or fat, whey protein can be beneficial. Whey protein is also packed full of essential and non essential amino acids and other elements.
- Protein is a big component of whey and protein is essential for the body. In order to run properly, the body needs a constant source of protein.
- Protein is used up by the body to both repair tissue and to build muscle as well. Protein also aids in the production of hormones, hemoglobin and antibodies.
- Finally, protein can provide the body with energy and helps with those processes throughout the body that are of extreme importance. Some of these processes include repairing bones and muscles, repairing the cells of the body, control of the body’s metabolism and also the building of muscles and bones.
Whey protein can also help with any gaps in nutrition that many people on gluten-free diets struggle with. Gluten is popular in many foods and can be hidden in some as well.
Finding a whey protein that has both gluten free and is packed with beneficial nutrients can be important for your overall health. However, maintaining a healthy body is not only dependent on what you put in it, but how you work it. It’s important to incorporate exercise along with a healthy diet.